I had an acupuncture appointment scheduled before the transfer which ended up being wonderful. Studies have shown that acupuncture can reduce cramping before and after the transfer which could potentially improve success rates. After acupuncture, I met M in the lobby of the building and we rode the elevator up to the clinic. He commented on how completely relaxed I looked.
We were happy to see that our nurse for the procedure was the one had performed our IUIs in previous cycles. M changed into scrubs and I changed into one of those sexy, backless hospital gowns. We also got outfitted with booties, hair coverings, and face masks. Once we were done, the embryologist came out with a consent form and pictures of our embryos. It was so cool to see them and have the embryologist explain exactly what we were looking at. She explained to us that the two embryos pictured were the ones that were read for transfer. We still had 4 others that may progress over the next 24 hours and would be eligible for freezing for future cycles. We should get a call today with an update. The two embryos that were ready, were rated AB quality which is near excellent quality. (FYI: There's not a single standardized scale for embryo grading. Some use a number scale, some use a letter scale, and some use a combination of both.)
Based on the quality rating and the fact that no other embryos were ready to freeze, our embryologist recommended transferring both embryos. M and I had discussed at length how many embryos we would transfer. We had a short discussion and opted to go with the embryologist's recommendation. With the decision to transfer two embryos made, we were led into the procedure room.
Something I've forgotten to mention is that I had to have a full bladder for this procedure. I had to go to the bathroom so badly when I arrived at the clinic. Once in the procedure room, I assumed the standard OB/GYN exam position. Our nurse squirted some ultrasound goo on my stomach and started pressing down on my abdomen with the external ultrasound. I literally thought I was going to pee on her! She assured me that I wouldn't, but if I did the absorbent sheet they had under me would hold close to 4 gallons of liquid :) I'll leave out the rest of the details of the procedure, except to say the embryos were inserted in their new home using a tiny catheter. Once that was complete, we were led out of the room and told we were free to go. It was very much "wham bam, thank you ma'am"
I mentioned my night sweats to the nurse and now I'm treated to another prescription as part of my regimen. I'm wearing an estrogen patch (similar to a nicotine patch) to help even out fluctuations in my estrogen levels. I am happy to report that I didn't have any night sweats last night, so it seems like it's doing the job.
After the transfer, M and I hung out for a little bit talking and listening to some music. M had to get to work for a meeting, but I went back downstairs for a second acupuncture appointment. It was so nice to be able to just lay there in a calm environment. I'm working from home for the rest of the week in order to stay as relaxed as possible.
And now, we wait!
This is so exciting! So do you only have a 1ww now? Imagine 3 sets of twins at bookclub <1yr apart in age- crazy! Wishing you the best with trying to relax & de-stress.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear things went well yesterday. Hope the embryos are settling in for the long haul!
ReplyDeleteI am amazed at your ability to remain so relaxed and calm throughout this process. You are already proving you have the patience required for parenthood. You are going to be a fantastic mommy! xoxo
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that everything went well! You are PUPO! :)
ReplyDelete